Key Competencies in the classroom

The key competencies from the NZ curriculum are having a more significant part in classroom teaching and reporting to parents.
The New Zealand Curriculum identifies five key competencies:
  • Thinking.
  • Relating to others.
  • Using language, symbols, and texts.
  • Managing self.
  • Participating and contributing.
After participating in a discussion with my team members regarding the KCs I have considered how much explicit teaching I have done this year with my class around the KCs. 
Could more teaching around managing self, relating to others and participating and contributing help with the behaviour management issues I am finding in class this year?
 
Future Implications
Bring back Discovery time to my classroom as a way to explicitily promote the KCs in my classroom.

 

Comments