Role of a mentor teacher

This year I put myself out of my comfort zone and offered to take on a student teacher from the University of Auckland. A 3rd year student on their last practicum was assigned to me from the start of the year. I found it challenging having another adult in the class during the start of year setting up. I had to put a great deal of thought into justifying and explaining many of my choices to the student which was a good way of confirming my own pedagogical theories.
In term 2 she return for the final 5 weeks of her practicum. We settled back into a routine and I was confident she would manage; maintaining my programme, behaviour expectations and standards. After 2 days of full control things were going well and I was confident to be able to pop out of the class fro 15 minutes at a time, leaving her in control.
However she never returned the following week,  the relationship has dissolved and she was not even able to return to pick p her personal belongings.
Thoughts-
1. Am I not outwardly friendly enough with people?
2. Do I try to hard to be professional rather than personable?
3. How do I come across to my colleagues when I am under stress?





Comments